Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wont display local disk c contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratzo

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
AU
Hi When I go into my computer and click on local disk c the windows search box comes up instead of the usual list of c drive folders , What would be causing that ?

Have you checked your mouse settings, to make sure nothing funky has changed there for the double-click action?

Is this ONLY happening when accessing the C: drive?

Do you have Admin rights with your login on the reference computer?

This is what Microsoft has to say about it:
Microsoft said:
Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
SYMPTOMS
If you double-click a drive or folder, Search Companion may start and the drive or folder may not open. If you configure settings for other actions that are associated with drives or file folders (for example, Open Command Window Here or Print Directory Listing), Windows may perform one of these actions instead of starting Search Companion.

NOTE: If you configure the Single-click to open an item (point to select) setting in Windows, this problem may occur if you single-click a drive or folder.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, edit the registry to set the value data for the Default string value in the registry keys that are described in the "Cause" section of this article to none:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.
Here is the link to Microsofts Knowledge base article this excerpt is from:

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita,

Have you ever actually seen an error message like in your signature?
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

My that would be a dreadful error message, ESPECIALLY if you were in a hurry to get something accomplished! :) Of course, I've seen error messages that seemed just as vague, or misleading.

Only once in Win98.

Don't remember exactly what I was running, maybe Explorer or something and I got the little dialog box with that criptic message.

However I have gotten: "Unknown has caused an illegal operation on Unknown and will be shut down to prevent damage to your computer" many many many times in Windows 98.

I found out that you get those messages when windows cannot identify the app that caused the error, or what it was doing at the time. And therefore substitues the default value of "Unknown" for all the place holders in those messages.
I guess they fixed it in Win2k and XP as I have not encountered a similar message ever again.

Hi
Thanks for the help , I have taken your advice and fixed the problem , the registry had lost the setting.

Once again thanks for the prompt replies .

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back