Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wont boot, no display, no beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEOSDAD

Technical User
Dec 3, 2005
US
I am having boot problems, no display, no beeps, no nothing. I am trying to put together a box for day to day chores and have tried 3 processors, and 3 motherboards, but am having the same problem with all combinations. All processors are P4, 1.66, 2.53, 2.88. Motherboards Abit IT7, Asus A7V, Asus P4S800. I have been working on them on my workbench to find a working combination before putting them in a case. I have changed out the graphics cards using both PCI & AGP cards. The power light on the boards themselves does come on, the CPU fan runs ok, but nothing seems to work. I hooked a working unit up to he monitor, and it works fine. Memory tried has been various sizes, 256, 528mb @ 266 & 400mhz.
I’m running out of combinations to try. Any ideas?

Make sure you're connecting up the square 4-pin power connector to the motherboard as well as the usual 20-pin one. Franklin97355's suggestion of trying a different PSU is probably your best bet...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

are you sure the hdd is ok? try using it to boot another machine then bring it back to the one you are building. (hdd's die without giving notice, so while it might have been ok under previous circumstances, it may have given up the ghost in the meanwhile.)

per ardua ad astra

Sounds crazy I know, buttttt did you plug in the power cord to the wall before trying to power up??

Trust me
:)

Using the hard drive in a different machine won't necessarily work (in fact more often than not, it certainly won't work). Especially not if it's a different brand with a different motherboard....so that test may not be of use as if the HDD fails to boot in a different machine, it doesn't necessarily mean the HDD is faulty.

When the hard drive is first installed in the computer it takes alot of information from the Motherboard of the machine it's in. Also the hal.dll is made up of information relating to the components in the machine in which the hard drive is first installed - this is why when trying it in a totally different machine with different hardware, it probably won't work.

I would also suggest trying a different PSU before looking any deeper.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

GEOSDAD,
The A7V is not a P4 board.

The Asus P4S800 should accept the 1.6, 2.5 and the 2.8
The Abit IT7 should accept the 1.6, 2.5 and possibly the
2.8 What are the markings on the underside of the 2.8?

I would start with the Asus P4S800 board.

What memory are you using?
ie: pc1600,pc2100,pc2700,pc3200??

reset the CMOS jumper on the motherboard.

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back