Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Won't Boot from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornPhoenix

Technical User
Nov 27, 2004
US
I've got a new system here that won't boot from the CD. It is set up as the first boot device, HDD is not even in the boot sequence. The screen will come up to say Boot from CD: and then it will sound like it's going to boot, however, it doesn't. The next screen that comes up is a blinking underscore ... any suggestions?

The CD you are booting from - does it boot in other machines (ie, have you tried it since it didn't work in new machine). And/or - have you tried booting from a different bootable CD?

Also - could the CD/DVD ROM be faulty?

PS - which o/s Cd are you trying to boot?

I've tried different cds, tried the cds in a computer that does work and they do boot to the cd, also i've tried different cd drives, nothing has worked. I'm using a SATA HDD and my cd rom is set as IDE Cahnnel 0 Master.

New - as in new home built, or factory built - still in warrwnty?

I've seen some bootable CDs that require you to press a key when the "Boot from CD" prompt is displayed in order to actually boot from the CD (I usually press the space bar). You've tried the CDs in other machines so I doubt if this is your answer, but since nothing else has worked for you...

the SATA is on it's own connector and prolly therefore doesn't figure into the "boot sequence" of IDE devices - try disabling the SATA settings for boot in the BIOS

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back