Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wont boot but beeps... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybrid368

MIS
Sep 21, 2002
US
I tried starting up my computer and heard this high pitch and low pitch beeping constant like a siren. computer wont boot up. anyone know of any possible solutions? I once got it to boot up but took me straight into BIOS. I checked all the settings and everything was ok. I clicked exit and it tried to restart but started beeping again.

You do not tell us which motherboard you have, vital information in a case like this. All I can tell you is that if it is an Asus board it probably indicates either a fan running at incorrect speed, voltage outside acceptable limits or possibly CPU temperature too high. Fan failure is the most likely. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Howdy:

Open your system and carefully remove the ram.. Clean the contacts and re-seat it completely..

Now try it.

Murray

Yes it is a ASUS Motheboard with a P3 800mhz CPU. I dont know exactly which model MB I have though. I also have 512mb of RAM.

It's most likely your ram or video card. The best way to debug boot problems is to unplug everything except the motherboard (of course), memory, and the video card.

Another problem could be the PSU. Some ASUS motherboards like a good power supply like an Antec, etc.

Hope this helps,

Zych

Hello,
Have you checked to see if the noise is coming from your psu?? I have heard them make some strange noises.. Just a thought.

Hey workinonit

come to think of it...it did sound like it was coming from the backside of the tower. So maybe it did come from my PSU. Do you know what could be wrong if it is coming out of my PSU? Thanks

Hybrid 368...
Dont know what causes it I always just replaced the psu..had to do it on several.

What you are hearing are warnings from the ASUS POST Reporter. ASUS uses the POST Reporter in many of its motherboards to alert the user to problems with the CPU, Memory, Video card, etc. Don't tear apart your system. ASUS made it easy for you by telling you EXACTLY what is wrong. Next time you boot the computer, record the exact sequence of the beeps.
Here is what you can determine from the beeps:
Long beeps in an endless loop means NO DRAM INSTALLED OR DETECTED. High frequency beeps when system is running means CPU OVERHEATED; CPU RUNNING AT A LOWER FREQUENCY. If it were the video card you would hear one long beep followed by three short beeps.
It sounds to me like your MB is telling you that it doesn't see your memory. The best thing to do is RE-SEAT the memory but bear in mind that without a Static Wrist Strap ($6.00 at most computer stores) you can damage or destroy your memory modules via the static electricity that your body conducts. Also, make sure that the tower's power cord is UNPLUGGED. Attach the clip end of your static strap to the computer's chassis before touching any of its internal components. When you re-seat your RAM, make sure that you push down on one end of the module at a time. Once both ends snap in, place firm pressure accross the length of the module to make sure that it is fully seated. Assuming that you have multiple memory modules, you may want to try installing a single module and re-booting before installing additional modules.
Good luck!

Yeah, poople beat me to the answer, but the beeps are your MB telling you what's wrong. They should be like morse code, (short short long ect...) and you can look them up in your mobo specs online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back