Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Won't back up image files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistol

MIS
Jan 29, 2001
US
I'm running Arcserve 2000 SP3, and I am still having issues backing up image files, has anyone ever had issues backing up images?

The error is a "Sharing Violation", but the files are not open, or in use by any other service, or program. I know I can get the open file agent, and that may fix the problem, but that doesn't explain why I can't back up any images. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yup, it's a known issue, you'll have to get your job engine service to log on as the arcserve system account. I trust you have set up the arcserve system account correctly with all appropriate rights?

If not then we'll verify them.

guru

If not then the client agent usually fixes the problem as well.

Thank's I'll let you know how it truns out

That seemed to do it, I've been scratching my head for so long

Thanks

Cool, good to hear.

But which one resolved it, the arcserve job engine log on, or the client agent?

thanks,

guru

I've got exactly the same problem, and it's made worse because I'm not sure what "I trust you have set up the arcserve system account correctly with all appropriate rights?" means.

Could anyone kindly suggest what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

I wish I could say that the client agent and/or the job engine logon solved my "sharing violation" situation.

Here is what I have:

ARCServe 2000 SP3 running on W2k SP2 that is backing up three other W2K SP3 servers.

I have created a backup account called "backup" in the domain. Backup has Domain Admin and Backup Operator rights throughout the domaina as well as local admin rights on the servers. Backup operator logs on as a service and part othe the OS for the advanced rights.

I also have Backup Agent For Open Files configured to run on the servers and the console on the backup server.

I use two Compaq TL891 DLT libraries, with the latest firmware.

When the backup agent is running on the machines, logged on as a local service I get the sharing violations. When I serch the tapes through the restore by session and expand the trees, the JPEG files in question are backed up. Also on the BAOF logs....it states that the file was open and closed. I am not sure what that is telling me. I think that is means the Open File agent kicked in for those files listed. When BAOF is not running the files are not on the tape, and I get the same errors.

If I run the Job engine as local serive and not the domain backup the problem is still there. This leads me to beleive that the log on as a domain backup for the Job engine is not the solution, at least for me.

The client agent is really interesting...Under the ARCserve manager job logs, the sharing violations are not there. But when I read the line "Total Skips" I get a number that corresponds to a list of sharing violations that are listed in a separte log file on the other backup server that is running the client agent. For exmaple for Server A I get 15 skips. Located under the Computer Associates folder Client Agent logs there is a list of 15 files (JPEGS) where there is "Unable to Read File" which is the same as the "sharing violations."

So, the sum this rant and rave up, I noticed that the client agent removes the errors from the job lists, but relocates them to a log file on the server that is being backed up. At first I thought the client agent fixes the problem, but for me it just makes the errors harder to find.

I still have an open ticket with Tech Support about this and they are usesless. Besides having to force the guy to repeat every sentence due to his poor English, I do not feel that CA can fix this problem. If anyone else is having this problem I feel your pain. I am willing to try any other suggestions and will greatly appreciate them.

Nick

cuckoo:

System account (found in the arcserve server admin, under system account) needs to be a high level user. Needs to be a domain administrator with the primary group being domain admins, needs to have backup operator rights, needs to have the advanced rights "log on locally" "log on as a service" and "act as part of the operating system". Then make sure you authenticate everything within arcserve as DOMAIN/Username.

Marion:

Have you made sure the primary group is domain admins?

Are the mentioned JPEGS open at the times of backup?

The job logs are typically just a summary of the activity log of the actual job, and as such don't expect it to go into any high level of detail by default.

Make sure your logging onto the other servers with the proper domain/backup account.

Guys, let me know how it goes.....

guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back