Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wlnotify.dll? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil6

Technical User
May 6, 2004
PT
Hello

I've been "toying" with some "performance enhance" programs, i. e. System Mechanic 6.0, JVTools 2005, because my pc is way tooooooooooo slow. I've managed to increase the speed of the startup, but I've found some collateral effects: when I press the icon for my profile, it used to only appear "Applying your settings". Now, it appears "playing logon sound" or "Executing Windows/system32/wlnotify.dll" and this last one goes on for a long time. Any thoughts on what this may be, or, ultimatly, how can I turn these messages off?

And yes, I've already uninstalled both the above-mentioned programs.

Thank you in advance.

Status Messages - Disable

You can disable the Status messages that appear on the screen when you're booting, logging on, logging off or shutting down the system (Starting Windows, Loading Personalized Settings, etc.).

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT. Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value. Name the new value, DisableStatusMessages. Double click the new value and set it to 1 to disable these messages, 0
to enable them.

Thank you for your answer. And BTW, terrific site! I'm going to check it out very thouroghly.

And what about that notify thingy, anything? ;)

Once again, thanks!

Wlnotify.dll is a genuine Microsoft file. You must have unknowingly changed the default settings for "logging on" status details to provide you with the extra status messages you were seeing.

Search your Registry for Wlnotify at this location -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

Make sure you can identify the Dlls mentioned in the Sub-Keys (there are several), Value's, Data section. This is a known spot for nasties to hide in (they invariably have a strange alpha-numeric type of name).

This thread may explain it a little bit more?

problems with IE and explorer
thread779-1049037

General maintenance and slow running links.

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Disable, not uninstall, any unused network adapters

WLnotify is the Microsoft dll.

WInotify would be a suspicious and unwanted file.

I suppose the WL might stand for Windows Login?

Do the "Tune Up" web-based scan by Microsoft: thread779-1147502

Thank you for your answers. I'm currently away from my pc, but as soon as I arrive home, I'll be able to post some feedback on this issue.

Thanks

Hello.

Sorry for the delay, but I just came back to the office.
Thank you for your answers. Yes, it was the windows dll.
However, since the change to the registry suggested by linney, now I don't have any messages at all. Not even "Loading your personal settings" Or even the "logging off".
BTW, I tried to follow your FAQ on how to speed up my pc, as it was so well recomended, but the link is broken. Was it moved?

Thank you

Which link? The first recommended links still work. Some of the links from inside the recommended links are getting old and sites change. Actually the FAQ writer (Jeffpr) can be contacted about this.

Here are some quicky amendments.

Links to the BlackViper site and regarding BootVis may not work. Bootvis is redundant in SP2 and of no use other than to monitor driver's loading.

The registry cleaner link might be u/s and the article withdrawn by management.

Fred Langa has this article about Registry Cleaners "I name names, and tell you the good, the bad, and the mediocre among the 10 Registry cleaners I tested in the writeup posted now, free, at"

Here is part of the missing link.

Freeware. (with good reports from around the web).

RegSeeker.

Purchase. (one of the best there is).

jv16 PowerTools (or their cut down version RegSupreme)

Thank you, linney. I'll give it a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.