Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wizard of Id is a Grammar Nazi 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Wizard of Id

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Sign him up.

I use to like the comic strip "Wizard of Id". The local newspapers do not print it any longer.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

It's the echo of a sympathetic Hart.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

If I point out that "I use to like..." should be "I used to like..." does that make me a Grammar Nazi or a member of the Grammar Police? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I thought there was a problem with the sentence.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I don't see the grammatical issue, unless djj55 completely stopped enjoying "Wizard of Id".
"I use to like..." = "Normally I enjoy..."

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Would that be correct use, really?

Some examples of what you could say is of course "I like", "I happen to like", or "I kind of like", but "I use to like"?
You could say "I did use to like", but then you would rather say "I used to like". It's only used in past tense, as this tells:
Bye, Olaf.

Wow! Thank you for the link Olaf. What a great site.

The phrase "I used to like", is something that I'm comfortable saying, but it NEVER looks right to me written. I'm never sure if I'm writing it correctly and it always just seems wrong regardless of how I "adjust" it. I always just rewrite the sentence to eliminate it.

Recently heard in the wild - "On Accident" e.g. "the teacher gave out the answers to the quiz on accident"

My son clarified this for me by describing it as the opposite of "On Purpose".

On the suject of "I use to like", I find myself asking, what did you use to like for?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Isn't "OnPurpose" is a browser event you can handle in javascript? I think it's triggered, if somebody on accident did something in the browser by purpose.

Bye, Olaf.

I think it's triggered, if somebody on accident did something in the browser by purpose.
Or maybe it's triggered, if somebody by accident did something in the browser on purpose.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

When my son first used the phrase "on accident", I asked him what he was trying to say. He said it was a combination of "an accident" and "by accident". He claims you can use "on accident" to mean both.

I don't buy that it is proper usage, but, the language changes a little with each generation. Mayhap [wink] this is his generation's contribution?

Tom

They are at it again.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

but, the language changes a little with each generation. "
When I was a teen, someone not "with it" was often called a square.

When my son's crowd had the same sentiment, this person was a Cube.

I would never have thought the "use to" would be correct in a sentence until reading Olaf's link.

I now may have to avoid it altogether.

I wrote this today

If you are used to receiving additional information, I can inquire further and see what documents are available.

Is that right?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

If you are . . .

Accustomed?

kwbMitel said:
I would never have thought the "use to" would be correct in a sentence until reading Olaf's link.

It can be used correctly and appropriately when posing a question,

Which tea did you use to make this brew?

OR

as a statement of fact.

Tha's neither use to man nor beast! :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back