Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wirless connectivity problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sostek

MIS
Sep 17, 2004
US
Here's one I've been working on for a client. They've got three pc's,

PC one is a desktop running Windows XP Home edition with a Netgear wireless card.

PC two is an Apple MacBook

PC three is a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop with Intel 2200 card.

They have Cox for their broadband provider and are connecting that to a Netgear WGR614 employing WEP.

The first two machines connect no problem. The Dell laptop is the cranky one. It will connect to other networks with WEP, WPA and MAC filtering but not the WGR614. I rebuilt the OS on the laptop, applied all service packs etc. but still no dice with the Netgear WGR614.

We cycled the power on the WGR614 and still the laptop is unable to connect.

Actually it gets an IP address and gateway address, but you cannot ping, tracert, nslookup or anything.

As I said, this laptop works fine on other networks with even more robust encryption.

Myself and another two IT folks cannot figure this out. Anyone have any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that the WGR614 got a firmware update and that did something.

Start by looking for a diferent driver version for the Intel 2200 card.

If you have the latest, try an older one. I think this card has some issues where is works with some routers, but not very well with others.

Otherwise you could try a different wireless card just tom make sure it's not the pc or router.

Senior Software Developer

Actually I should have mentioned, this PC did at one time work with the router in question. So I'm not sure it's the card. I did ask the client to check the version of the card since the 2200's had several revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back