Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wirleless works for 2 minutes with Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alritter

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2001
US
My Wireless card (Wavelan Gold) works on XP for 2 minutes
then I can't access anything. No internet, No email, No pings. Nothing. But my connection meter shows that my signal is excellent.

Windows XP with all the latest updates
Firmaware for the card has been updated.
Wavelan AP1000

All other laptops using Win2k work fine.

Any ideas?

1. Disable on the wireless client the option for 802.1x authentication
2. Remove Hotfix 815485 through Control Panel, Add/Remove programs

Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x is not selected and I dont have hotfix 815485 installed.

I disabled it and it seems to work.....until I reboot. If I set the service to manual I have to start it first then stop it in order for the wireless to work. is there another step I should be taking?

Download and install the Agere/Proxim Wireless client manager. The issue is you need a client to initiate the connection to the AP/wireless router.

In the alternative create a batch file:

rem stop the Wireless Zero Service:
net stop wzc

Leave the service enabled as Automatic under its startup options.

You can add the batch file to your logon script.

Leaving the service disabled and using a different client manager makes more sense.

I have the client but still seem to have to start and stop the services.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

With the client installed there should be no need for the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Find the Wireless Zero Configuration service, stop it, and set its startup type to disabled.

Reboot. Configure the adapter using the Agere client, including specifying SSID, channel, WEP settings etc.

well this is the same issue that i have, but my wireless client manager sees my ap router but my windows does not see it. so i was wondering how am i supposed to disable my windows setting and use the wireless client manager. i cant seem to get it to work, but my wireless client is seeing and detecting my ap router with full strength.

thanks for the help

You either disable the Wireless Zero service and use the client manager software from your adapter, or you remove the client software. You will be very unhappy trying a mixed use of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back