Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring TNs on Meridian 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2008

Technical User
Mar 12, 2008
US
I've just taken over the PBX admin and I'm learning as I go.
We have the Meridian wired to our main Patch Panel but seem to have no system documentation to say where any TN is physically connected to. I was going to try and trace the wiring but most of the wiring seems to be the same colour and I can't figure out how the TN number relates to a card.

Is there any way I can find out where a TN goes? what I'm thinking is if I plug a Phone into the patch panel, can I do a scan on the meridian for new devices or something?

Any advice would be gladly recieved!

Thanks
Mike

If you know a phones extension, you can find its TN. Generally speaking, each TN usually has a unique extension on its KEY 0 position on the TN.

Are you thinking of the system that way? - if so, you can identify where each TN goes if you know where the extension is. You do this by PRTing a "TNB" or "DNB" from the system terminal.

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

does your wiring fram have no information on it?

what kind of frame are you working on? is it Krone or something else?

if it's Krone then there will be 2 strips per card 0-7 on one strip and then 8-15 on the other.

If you plug a phone into the frame and call someone you'll be able to get the extension number and then the TN. You can then label the frame up..

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

In relation to a card, it depends on the system you have. An option 11 that hangs on the wall is a little different than a 61 or 81C on the floor.

The tn is broken down as such:

TN= 120-0-4-6

Loop=120 You should see the 120 on the outside on the modules

0=shelf you usually have a 1 or 0 there

card=4 the card in slot 4 of that loop and shelf

unit=6 the port of that card (digital or analog set)

Option 11 you usually only see the card and unit

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Thanks for your replies.

Our Option 11 hangs on the wall. I can find out a TN from an extension number OK but the problem is that we have a number of extension numbers which are not in use so I don't know where the TNs are connected on our patch panel.

Mikeyb, when you say Frame, do you mean the patch panel? (sorry I don't know the terminology too well) If so, it's been labelled & relabeled a lot of times by the look of it so it's just rubbish that's on it now. my plan is to get all the extensions labelled up properly on the patch panel.

Is there a way to enable all unused extensions? this way I gould go throught all the connections with a phone and see what I get.

Thanks
Mike

You don't label it by DN's you label it by TN's.

If you follow a cable from the Option 11 to the patch panel, the pairs should be punched down in order and the TN's should also be in order. you have 16 TN's on each cable, so the TN's should go 0 to 15. look at a few TN's that you can find to see how there on the patch panel and you should beable to figure it out.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

OK thanks for that. Numbering by TN does make sense when you think about it.
Unfortunately, our system does not appear to follow any particular sequential order in terms of wiring. I've got a list of our TNs in order and I've matched this up to known connections so it's just a matter of filling in the blanks.... nope!

We've got 40ish unassigned/no longer used numbers and I found 2 because the connections seem to jump around all over the place.

I've also tried enabling numbers and going round all the connections with a phone to see if I can get a dialling tone but this is not yielding any conections.

Can this be done the other way round, i.e. can I connect a phone to the panel and get the meridian system to check for a new device?

If I connect a phone to any of the free sockets on 1 of our panels I get dialling tones in most of them but cannot dial another extension I'm sure this mus mean something....? It only happens on 1 panel, the other 3 are just dead.

Seriously thinking about getting someone to come in and rewire the whole thing!

Call in a Vendor to find and lable your Patch panel. Unless the person that wired was a Data person or just a dumb ass, all TN's should be punched down in order 0 to 15.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

BT service the Meridian so It'd make sense to get them in to do it but they'll not touch someone elses wiring, (I've already asked them) The only option from them is a full rewire. A bit extreme maybe but then they'd be responsible for the whole thing which is prob for the best.

mike2008- If you feel uncomfortable with re-labling your frame with the correct TN's you may want to get someone else in there to get this problem straight for you and it's really a easy task when you have the right person doing it. On a Option 11 single cabinet or multi cabinet I could have that up to par in no time and it makes a big difference when you know what your looking at.I obviously haven't seen the switch in reference but i would bet that this can be handled without a rewire i mean that sounds ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back