Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spearce02

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
I have a Option 11c that I need to move to a new building and that building is being wired with cat5e cable only. Is there a company that makes cables and patch panels that will easily connect from the 25 pair cross-connect terminal in the 11c? Has anyone tried thais and if so what did you use? Thanks!

Are the cat5e cables getting punched down to 66 or 110 blocks or to patch panels. I have one site using patch panels. The 25 pair from the switch get punched to the white/blue of each port on the back side of the panel (one pair to each port). We only punched the first 16 pairs. Station ports are then connected with regular patch cords to the TN port. Any cat5e panel will work. We used ortronics brand.

I thought about that and was wondering if there where any patch panels with the 25 pair cable connector built into it so you could just plug in a 25 pair cable with connectors on both ends and it would work, I guess it would have to be specially made for the Nortel equpment so that only 16 pairs of each 25 pair connector where used and went to the white/blue on each rj45 port. Anyone out there heard of one of these or know if they are or are not made? Thanks!

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that 25 pair cable/connector would you?

Have you thought about a 32 port loaded patch panel, using two pretermed ampenol cables? You would then get two in a panel without having odd amounts using the nortel breakout. you can get a variety of lengths of pretermed ampenols. then it's just plug and play. just a thought if you hadn't considered it.

please forgive the drastic understatement. we all know nothing ever goes that easy! Good luck.

mk

We did something like this once. What we did is have the TN's terminate on one set of patch panels with RJ11 connectors that was next to the cat5e patch panels. We then made up our own patch cables to go from the RJ11 to the RJ45 patch panels. It work well and made moves a snap. Our RJ11 panels were punched down from the back from the 25 pair but I have seen RJ11 panels that have ampenol connectors on them that would work as well.

Sounds like someone trying to get out of doing a little work.

did not read the responses but.. the same patch cables that you use for data will work on you phones.. ethernet uses pins 1,2,3 and 6.. your phones use 4 and 5.. on the new areas here we use patch panels, i don't like them because they are harder to make changes on after a few years... the new heart center has maybe 2000 patches on one frame..

the biggest problem is factory made patch cables... 10 ft cables each with 4 ft of slack times 2000.. or 6 ft cables that are to tight to pull... either way it was great post install, two years later you can't get the covers back on the wire managemnet.. it's just to hard to dress 20k ft (3.x miles) of slack on a 16 ft frame

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

We did it in our data center simply because we're a vendor and our data center sits behind plexiglass and is visible from our conference room.

It's nice form to have conferences with customers with the equipment that we sell, support and use on display.

There are a lot of problems with using patch panels instead of 110 or 66 blocks though. In addition to the slack issue that JP mentioned, the other problem is that it's difficult to perform all of the little test tricks that you learn as a field technician with a butt set such as testing ground-start trunks/etc and generated a ground by using other pins on the block.

It also limits you on "breaking out the orange, green and brown pair of wires". Essentially you get one device per cable just like data. I have installed several systems this way and other than what I have already mentioned the only draw back is ATTEMPTING to keep to mess of patch cords from looking horrible.Just as JP said earlier. This is very nice for smaller systems of 50-150 phones. Besure you punch down your tails or Mertek, otherwise your form looks like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back