Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring for new office

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschweg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2002
US
Hi guys, I'm going to be moving to a new office and had a question about wiring for the new building.

I currently have a IP Office 406 with Avaya 4212D+ phones. Phones connect to the handsets via rj11, and also to the expansion module on the IP Office as rj11.

I want to wire the new building all CAT6, terminated with rj45 to keep my options open if I ever decide to move to IP phones. Can I do this? The digital ports on the IP Office accept rj45, but my phones do not. Can I just plug an rj11 patch into the rj45 jack that terminates back to the IP Office?

I guess what I'm trying to avoid is terminating everything as rj11 and then having to have that all redone in case we move to ip.

An RJ11 end will fit into an RJ45 patch panel as well as an RJ45 jack. No need for any adaptors.

Telecomboy, that's really bad advice. As the shoulders on the RJ11/RJ12 connector push pins 1 and 8 up on the panel and in time it often gives you a knackered port.....don't do it :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

I would agree with Amridle
The best solution is to replace the rj11-rj11 line cords with rj11-rj45 line cords
these should not be dificult to source or make (it is the middle pair on bothe connectors that is used)

Keep the building wiring on cat 6!

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

I agreee with Telecomboy, jacks have come a long way. Now, if you pay $1 for some off brand jack you might end up with some problems in the future, but if you go with a well known brand like Leviton, Panduit, or Ortronics you should be fine.

I've seen and done it when you are caught short, but when planning something in advance to "cowboy" it is not a good start, at least not in my book. Do it properly from the beginning and you will not go far wrong, doing workarounds and a "it'll do fine" attitude opens you up to problems :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Id agree with amriddle, if you are planning this change then get the right conenctors on the line leads from the off.

However I would say in an emergency I have used an RJ11 cable in an RJ45 socket perviously with no issues.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try to source some adapters or converter cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back