Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wiring a BCM50 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matelot2

Technical User
Apr 29, 2015
GB
Hi,
Quite few years ago I was given a BCM50 and a number of phones. I managed to get them working and they are in daily use on the garden railway site I maintain the electronics of.
I loaded the BEM software onto my laptop and addressed all the phones.
I have not maintained it since then but would now like to get back into the software.
I can verify the existence of the unit from the software when it is plugged in using a standard network lead but it wont connect.
I assume the success with verify means that I have the correct password and user name.
The present lead is wired so that if you put both plugs side by side the wire colours can be seen in the same order i.e. 1 to 1 2 to 2 3 to 3 etc.
says
Open a browser and use the address 10.10.11.1 which should open the interface of the BCM50. The BCM50 should supply your PC with an IP address 10.10.11.2 which would allow a connection.
The pc just says 'the site can't be reached', I have tried with three cables.
I have a second BCM50 that does the same thing.
I seem to remember very vaguely using a slightly differently wired lead to connect it? A back to back or something?
Am I imagining it or does it need a 'back to back' lead and how would that be wired?
Thanks,
Mat.

Assuming you can ping it, try using an older PC or an older browser, such as Internet Explorer. I haven't been in a BCM 50 in a long time, but it probably uses a TLS 1.0 certificate that newer browsers don't trust. Firefox (and possibly other browsers) can be configured to talk to a TLS 1.0 site.

Thanks biv343. I loaded the bem onto my new laptop and it then logged into the bcm50, I don't know if my old laptop got corrupted somehow?
I now have the system working on my laptop.

thanks,
Mat

Nice to see the king of BCM still has it, hope all is well.

I have attached (link at the far bottom) a fix for the TLS issue by using Waterfox or Firefox but you might find others, it appears Safari and Chrome are out.

For proper BEM connection:

Edit the java.security file.
You may have to do this for every time java is updated, you can disable updates in java console if need.

-Do NOT use Windows Explorer to do this.
-In Windows navigate to your Notepad icon and right click it's icon and select "Run as Administrator" (Win 10 users might need to select More first).
-Using notepad select File then Select Open and navigate to Program Files/Java/YourVersion#/lib/security or 64BIT users "Program Files (x86)/Java/YourVersion#/lib/security
-In the far lower right hand side change "txt files" to "all files"
-Open java.security.
-Use the CTL + F command to start FIND
-Search for MD5 (ignore lines with # or Example at the beginning of the line) and remove these two references: MD5 (2 locations) and MD5withRSA (1 location), (Update Sept 2021) as for the line that has MD5with RSA you also need to remove TLSv1, TLSv1.1, this is what the line looks like: jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA,
Ignore the other 3 references of MD5 further down the page that look like this:
jdk.xml.dsig.secureValidationPolicy= disallowAlg disallowAlg md5, disallowAlg md5, disallowAlg md5,
-click file/save file

See below for your file.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back