Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikertz

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2005
US
Well I just installed Ubuntu and I have been running into some problems!First of, I got a wireless USB card and was wondering were to get the drivers. And whenever I try to install something the OS asks for the root password in the terminal but it does not accept it. I tried changing the password in the terminal, it let me change but would not let me intall anything!

ikertz-

You might also try looking in on and asking a question in the Ubuntu irc chat (host: irc.freenode.net channel: #ubuntu).

If you have done much IRC then you probably think you will get flamed for posting a newb question in there, but as it turns out they are very helpful.

Using the IRC chat on console 1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) I asked questions and on console 2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) I was able to implement the soloutions provided by the helpful people there.

If you are running the latest version of Ubuntu (and maybe earlier versions) I think there is a IRC client built in.

this command should get it started if it exists (swap out [tt]NICKNAME[/tt] for your chat nickname:

[tt]> irc -n NICKNAME -c irc.freenode.net[/tt]

once the client starts and connects (the text stops scrolling) type [tt]/join #ubuntu[/tt] to join the Ubuntu channel.

Of course this assumes that you have an internet connection plugged in to your computer for the time being.

Robert Carpenter
"Disobedience to conscience is voluntary; bad poetry, on the other hand, is usually not made on purpose." - C.S. Lewis (Preface to Paradise Lost)
ô¿ô

What kind of network card is it??? I use ubuntu and hate the sudo so I use root.

sudo passwd root
enter sudo password
enter new root password
enter new root password again.

Again who makes the network card?????

are you sure that it is not beeing seen, what happends when you type iwconfig???

-How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?
-Need more cow bell!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back