Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless with Radius, frequent Dropouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

truined

Technical User
May 4, 2002
AU
I have set up a Enterasys Roamabout 3000 Access Points and Netgear WG302 Access points to use WPA, so it connects to my Win2003 server using RADIUS for authentication. A variety of client workstations connect, some with toshiba laptop wireless cards, some netgear PCI wg311 cards.

Everything works fine. I authenticate and can connect and use the network. However, after 2 to 5 minutes, it disconnects and reauthenticates again. It does this constantly, and it's very annoying. The signal can be low or very good but the dropouts still occur. It occurs on both types of access point so I don't think it is a access point problem. All the latest firmware is used.

I'm using P-EAP Anyone run into this issue before?

I use HP 420 Wireless Access Points with WPA2 and 802.1x. There is a setting on these unit on how often to re-authenticate the wireless. I believe it defaulted to 1 minute on these units, we pushed it up to 10 minutes to make things a little bit better.

Dan

Both netgear and enterasys access points have the key refresh set at 3600 seconds but the reauthentication is much more frequent than this.

Check the power management settings on the wireless adapters? We had devices with power management set to auto, they would disconnect every 5 or ten mins if no activity at that point. Once we turned this off, everything steyed up permanently.

HTH

Mike

I have turned off power management and updated to the latest drivers. The drop outs still occur. Sometimes you can get 40 minute connections but mostly the connection is stable for no more than a minute or 2.

The radius seems to take an eternity to authenticate even the first time and when reauthenticating even the though the fast reconnect option is used it takes quite a long time before the connection is re-established.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back