Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless signal detection tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

david7777777777

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
Does anyone know where I can find good tools, applications with or without their own hardware, that will display radio signals graphically so I can walk around with my laptop and "see" the signals being emmitted by WAP's and other such devices? Thanks.

bcastner's got it. It's free, works well with most cards, both pcmcia and mini-pci.

It will show you AP names, channels, whether or not the WEP is enabled and a scrolling graph of the S/N ratio.

Thanks, looks like netstumbler is exactly what I need. Have you guys come across any good tutorials or explanations on how RF waves work in general? Off to Google now..... thanks.

I've found a lot of information in on wardriving.com They have a lot of links for How-To's and FAQ's. As good a place as any to start.

Hi,

Recently I tried to use netstumbler to detect for any rogue AP. It does well if the SSID is being broadcast. Does anyone know if there is a way to detect rogue AP if the broadcast of wireless name(SSID) is disabled? Will it still show the rogue AP mac address etc.. ?

Kismet will work as will AirMagnet which is not cheap. A worry for those who like to poke around, Netstumbler will leave footprints since it's active and not passive. AiroPeek which is a wireless sniffer will also work to find rogue access points.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back