Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akusei

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
US
Breakdown:
Windows XP Pro
512mb DDR400
80gb Maxtor HD
nVidia GeForce 5200
P4 2.4 Ghz 800FSB
Gigabyte MB (Can't remember model off hand.. am at work)
Netgear WG311v2 wireless PCI card
This connects to a WGR514v3 Wireless AP

I just installed Windows XP and finished installing all the drivers including the intel chipset drivers. I then proceded to install the drivers and utility for the wireless card and I got a Blue Screen! The BSOD indicated that the driver netwg311.sys had tried to read or write to memory it should not have. This happens randomly and each time it is 1 out of the 3 driver files that the wireless card uses that causes the BSOD. I've tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. I've looked on Netgear's site, but there is no updated driver (the update on the site says it is firmware, but it is only a driver and it's the same one that came with the card). Netgear's tech support has been useless and I'm at my wits end. I even tried upgrading the firmware on the AP.

If the drivers don't cause a BSOD they slow the system down to a crawl at random times. The Utility that came with the wireless card crashes all the time as well. Does anyone know what is wrong with this Netgear peice of crap?

BTW, to fix the netgear utility problem, I tried disabling it and using Windows Zero configuration by specifying a Preferred Network to use. Well, that works great except that when the computer reboots it loses the Preferred Network I just added... Does anyone know the reason why XP deletes the newly created Preferred Network on reboot?

Thanks everyone, I really need your input.

Someone has got to know something about this! Please help!

A preferred network will be lost if it does not broadcast its SSID.

When the SSID is broadcast it connects to the Preferred network, however it does not "remember" the WEP key that I assigned to the Preferred Network. In other words, when I reboot it will not connect to the Preferred Network until I click on "View available networks" and retype the WEP key. Any ideas on that one?

I think you need to completely remove the client software from the earlier installation.

Wireless Zero under XP is an either/or proposition:

. either the adapter fully supports it, or it acts oddly;
. you cannot mix/match having the client software for the adapter installed in the presence of Wirless Zero.

Normally speaking the setting should be retained. You use the top box of the Wireless configuration window to define your settings under Available Networks. You then add them as Preferred Networks, setting also under Advanced that you want AP-only type connections, and secured.

There may be some specific issues with your adapter. The best web resource is the BroadbandReports Netgear Forum: These guys/gals will sort the issue for you.

Here is just a suggestion. When u click on "View all available networks" go to the advanced button. When you are in there select the SSID and choose configure. You should be able to put the WEP key in here. Try rebooting afterwards it should stay in. Also from my experience with Windows XP and wireless cards for the most part it is best to let XP automatically configure the settings. Since that seems to cause the least amount of problems.

I will give these suggestions a try.. Thank you all very much for the replys.

Akeusi,

No problem. Search the BroadbandReports site and/or ask the question, as there may be some oddity for the adapter itself.

As a first thing though (after removing the original client software), is to apply the "XP Wireless Rollup" package, as it contains hundreds of patches to the XP wireless service:

It is definitely 100% caused by Norton -- pls see my previous post :)

TheFiend, What are you talking about? This was your first post to this thread and no one has mentioned Norton at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back