Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nefretler

Technical User
Dec 2, 2007
US
Hello all,
I have a LAptop wireless problem. The wireless signal strength seems to be excellent, and the send-receive is very good. However the IE can not connect to anywhere. When I connect the same wireless router with cable to laptop, the IE works perfectly. The wireless router is NETGEAR. The other 2 pcs that use the same wireless router works perfect. The laptop wireless worked also fine until a few months ago.

What can I check to figure out where exactly the problem is? Any help will be extremely appreciated
Thanks

Thanks a lot wahnula,

I tried that. It said that I "probably" have apersonal firewall on ports ... for FTP, HTTP, HTTPS etc. I checked my windows XP firewall and it looks like it is off. I have NORTON internet security running on the computer. I turned that firewall off. However the internet connection still is bad.
I have to mention that the internet connection exists however it is just extremely slow. It's slowness is so extreme to the point of "abnormal". And again, if I connect the router by ethernet cable, it works perfect.

Any more ideas? What can I check next?
Thanks

Get rid of Norton Internet Security.

It causes more connection problems than it's worth.

It's one of the first things I ask people when they call me for wireless support (I support several hotels).

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I have had several issues in the past with norton internet security as well. Even 'disabling' it has no results. Uninstall it and if nothing else, your system will thank you.

As far as your connection, are you able to ping your router when your on the wireless?

Use the Norton clean up utility to remove.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried the ping only yet. And to my surprise, I can ping the router and also everywhere..e.g. yahoo.com etc. This I guess proves that my wi/ reless card is fine. So what could be the next to check? For norton, I have it on all my other pcs that connect to tis wireless connection and also on this laptop where i can conect by the internet cable to the router. Could it still be the Norton causing the problem?

how about the nic? check settings,protocol and the like.

Steve
We're doing this stuff for the wealth and fame right?

could you please explain briefly what nic is? How can I find out?
Thanks a lot

actually I found out what nic is ... So could the noc still be bad even if the ping works fine?
If ping works but HTTP does not, and Internet Explorer is extremely slow, that could point to a software issue amI right?

However I would like to check my nic.. could you give me a couple of tips how to test what commands to use.. etc?

Go to a command prompt.

Do the following:

ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
ipconfig /registerdns <enter>
netsh winsock reset <enter>

Reboot

See if that works.

Oh, and get rid of Norton Internet Security.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

I did the commands mentioned. Unfortunately they did not solve the problem. The web browser finds the web page but just keeps trying to open it forever. Also it says sth like "finding dns server" when a new Internet Explorer page is opened. This happens for a short duration then it says that it is trying to find the web page.

Then I did the internet diagnostic tool it says that the ports 21, 80 and HTTPS can not connect, and there could be a firewall. There is no firewall that I know of. How can one diagnose this any further at a more basic level?
Thanks

have NORTON internet security running on the computer

Did you get rid of Norton Internet Security? Like I said, I've seen this exact problem solved by removing it.

Norton Internet Security stinks, IMHO, and causes more problems than it prevents.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

i second Greg's opinion. Norton Internet Security is pants - removed it from my wife's laptop and all manner of strange problems disappeared....

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

I couldn't connect to the internet awhile back and used the following commands to get back on:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

I ran them from a command prompt. I'm pretty sure they're correct. I'll look for my documentation when I get back. Don't reboot after the first one. Run both and then reboot.

Try to release and renew your Ip addresses. I've found that even though the IP addresses are there, they may not work correctly.

Jediwarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back