Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless printing with 2 routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideman

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
I have a Linksys WRT54g connected to my cable modem, using it's wireless router abillities for my whole home network. No problems at all with it. I just got a US Robotics 5461 MaxG Wireless router which has an internal USB print server.

My question is, how can I set up the USR to function only a wireless print server in my WRT54g wireless network?. (with no cat5, and no router functions needed on the USR) I got it real cheap and would like to use it this way, if possible.

When using the USR as a separate wireless router, the print server works fine. Needless to say, I don't want to have to switch networks to print.

Any help, or information sources would be very appreciated.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
Sideman

I like the USR Router, that's the first time I've seen it.

In my experience, I have found it difficult to get two routers to speak to each other. They need to have a setting to allow them to bridge the two networks together. That being said, if your Linksys router is the right version, you can hack the firmware on it, and that custom firmware will allow you to do what you want. So if you have a WRT54G v4 or less, then it's very easy to apply the firmware upgrades, due the the hardware being very strong to support it's linux needs. V5 or greater on the WRT54G had the hardware knocked down to run the VXworks firmware by Cisco, and is harder to mod, but you can still do it.

These mods are not for the faint of heart, but I did it on my V4 firmware, and it gave me MUCH improved functionality, and I was then able to bridge my two wireless routers together.

Let me know if that helps.
The website to get the best information on this is:
and read their forums at:

P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back