Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Point to point and vlan

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancepr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
US
My Boss wants to sell our next door building a wireless connection so they can use our T1 line.
We have a Cisco 1600 router and small switch right now.
We are going to use the Cisco Aironet 350 point-to-point wireless kit

I want to add a Catalyst 2900 switch so we can setup 2 or 3 vlans to keep our data separate.
1 vlan for internet
1 vlan for our network
1 vlan for their network.

How much setup would be involved in doing this, and would I need any more hardware?

Can't do it with that gear.. You need a 1721 that support VLAN'ing, a router with multiple ethernet interfaces or you need a layer 3 switch to do the VLAN routing...

BuckWeet

That company probably won't want you to have access to their traffic, I know I wouldn't. I've done similar things and had 1 vlan for my internal traffic, 2 vlans for internet feed with custom queuing at the router. What they do with their internet is their business.

BuckWeet is absolutely correct the 1600 series doesn't support vlans.

-Jeff
----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

So I need a 1721 router, then add a WIC-1DSU-T1 Card and a WIC-1ENET card to enable vlans?

Yea, that would work well. You won't even need to employ vlans. If you're 1600 has 2 eths then you don't need anything.
,-----Subnet A, Your internet
internet-----Router
NAT? `-----Subnet B Their internet

Add ACLs preventing traffic between subnets A & B and you're done. ----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back