Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5ascent0

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
US
Does anyone have any ideas when the wireless phone will be released? We heard it wouldn't be supported or released until version 2.x.

Hi, Yes I have ver.2.0 and there is possibility to configure wireless system. I am not sure is it possible to configure that on IP Office because I worked on small office. When you install ver.2.0(6b) you have in manager application posibility to configure wireless system.

Whe Wireless option in 2.0 is for WiFi networking Not wirless phones (& is only available on the small office afik)
Do you mean Wirless IP Phones?

Yes, I meant Wireless IP phone. So the users can roam the office without using the headset, which is kind of useless since all you can do is answer and hangup. It would be nice if the keypad on it worked with the system.

Avaya has partnered with SpectraLink and have two types of wireless phones one that works through a wireless lan or using their base station ant. I am looking at the wireless Lan option which looks to be cost effective for an 8 extensions.

Rustytelco,
Am I correct in assuming that you are using the Avaya model 3616 wireless IP Telephones?? they look like the Spectralink
and are you using them as a true 802.11b phone? What features like caller ID etc. I have just started playing with a pre release version being ver 2.09 on our in house IP Office.

Regards,
Graham

The Small Office can be made to support 802.11b wireless. However it doesn't support any guaranteed quality of service on that wireless LAN so isn't really intended for VoIP.

The official solution being tested in parallel with 2.0 is Spectralink and 3616/3626 handsets (more boxes, servers, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back