Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Options on Old Imac

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfons

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
US
I am going to setup a wireless network 802.11b using a linksys router. It is mainly So I can access the internet via my work laptop which is not a problem.
My problem is with the older Imac I just got for my daughter, it only has USB and Ethernet. Is there a adapter/antenae I can connect to the ethernet port, or do I have to go with a USB adapter?
Also, will any USB to wireless adapter work or do I have to get one that specifically has drivers for OS9.2.2 and/or OSX?

Kevin

Turn the iMac over and open the door on the bottom. You should find an Airport socket with Antenna.

Go buy an Apple Airport card and your in business.

Not with an Old Revision A-D Tray loading Imac (airport wasn't inventoed back then). I think I am stuck with a USB to 802.11b Adapter. The question is am I limited to the Belkin or Proxim because they have Mac drivers? Or, can I use any of them similar to wireless routers (I plan to get the netgear wireless router as it supports Appletalk, but have not completely decided on this due to being able to print to my Laserwriter via TCP/IP).

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back