Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
US
My wireless connection on my Lenovo Ideapad Y shows no networks, when I know network exists that it had previously joined and I am sure the network works as I am able to use it with another laptop. The wireless switch is in the on position but the light for wireless on the laptop is off.

Function F5 displays the wireless connection as

current status "enable"

status settings " disable"

I have no IP address and ipconfig /all says

media state is media disconnected

The wireless onboard is Intel<R> Wireless WiFi Link 5100

Who do I get the wireless working again?

OS - Vista Home Premium

Not the clearest of questions.

Device ok in device manager?

What are you using to manage the wireless connection - Vista's built in functions or 3rd party from wireless or laptop provider?

Most likely causes are:-

wireless card has died
device disabled in device manager
internal aerial has become disconnected.
laptop switch is faulty (you said its on but no light - have you tried changing the switch during the boot process - I've known some laptops which ignore turning switch on once windows is loaded - only works if you do it before load)

I downloaded the Intel Wireless troubleshooting tool. The wireless network card has an up to date driver. The radio in the laptop is on, but it always fails when scanning for networks.

In Network and Sharing Center and then Manage Network Connections does the wireless connection show as disbaled?

Yes, it is disabled, which makes no sense when the Intel Wireless Tool shows the radio as on.

Two stage "turning on"..

First: H/W i.e.. turn on device (radio)

Second: S/W enable ... in Network Connections

Yes, I can enable the connection, but when I do, I never see any networks. The scan always fails using the Intel utility as well and the light on the laptop for wireless never lights up (even when F5 shows the wireless as on and the switch is in the on position. Yet, I can sit on another laptop right next to it, see 5 different networks, connect to my home network, and surf no problems. This problem just appeared out of no where and I am lost trying to fix it. Do you think the internal card itself is the problem I would replace it, but the radio on the wireless works so that is not the problem.
Any ideas?

Not much anybody can do for you if it is faulty hardware, other than advise replacement.

If it is a software problem, and things were working a few days ago, maybe System Restore could fix it?

Have you tried from "Safe Mode with Networking"?

See the Winsock fix in this link.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

"As for configuring your wireless, with each of the last four laptops I've gotten over the years, I've ended up eventually stripping out the vendor's proprietary wireless access management software and letting Windows manage the connections on its own. In XP especially, the wireless connection tools are pretty good and not hard to use. And, with only one tool trying to monitor and manage the wireless, things are much simpler. For example, you can tell the Windows tool NOT to try to connect to just any network it happens to find; to forget about networks you'll never see again; to connect automatically only to networks you know about and preapprove; and so forth. I keep hoping that some vendor will ship a truly effortless tool, but none in my experience has even come close; instead, the built-in Windows tool is still the best I've found".

The above is quoted from Fred Langa in this article.
"Turbulence In The Ether"

What kinda laptop?
I would go into the intel app and check the box that says Let Windows manage this device.

The third party management tool on my Lenovo is ReadyCom. I think I will try uninstalling it and see how that works out, as I am out of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back