Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless not working with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaDotNet

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2007
CA
Hello All:

I have a wireless that I set it up on my windows Vista, it was working fine for couple of months but last few days ago all of sudden my Vista complains that 'Windows cannot find any available network' and I dont see any list of available networks.

When I click on diagnose link, Windows poped up a message saing that 'This computer does not have any network adapter installed and configured'.

I was suggested that I try to roll back Driver software, I did that but same problem.

I have Navidia N Force adapter.

Not sure why all of sudden it stopped working, I did not change any setting or anything. Only thing that came to my mind was maybe it upgraded the software but even going back to last software is not helping.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
nas

Is your Network Adapter listed in the Device Manager?

Perhaps you could uninstall it from there, reboot, and then let Windows rediscover it.

Have you had a look at things from "Safe Mode With Networking"?

Do you have a Wireless Network Icon in the Notification Area, has it got a red X on it?

Anything in the Event Viewer from the time of the fault?

Is this a Laptop with any on off button for Wireless?

Sony Vaio SZ4XWN & Wireless Problems
thread1583-1412373

Hello Linney:

Yes, I was able to see Netword Adapter listed in Device Manager.

I did Disable it and then enable it, did not work.

I have a On/Off button but when i switch it On and Off the light always stays Orange. Did not notice what it was when it was working.

Did not try 'Safe Mode with Networking', is that an option I get it when I boot it up? Smiliar to option we had for XP?

I was thinking to uninstall it and then let window find it. But i am scared if Windows cant find it then I dont have a CD to reinstall it again.

Have you tried System Restore to get back before your troubles?

"I have a On/Off button but when i switch it On and Off the light always stays Orange. Did not notice what it was when it was working".

Could the switch be faulty and stuck off? What does any manual or user guide (manufacturer's site) say?

Network Adapter drivers are probably a driver download from the manufacturer's site too. So if you uninstall it and want to reinstall, make sure you have the latest driver downloaded first. You shouldn't need the Vista DVD.

XP and Vista have similar Safe Mode screen options via F8 at bootup.

Replacement of CD or Product Keys
To replace a CD or Product Key, you must contact PSS. To locate the appropriate phone number for your product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Hello:

Well I tired reinstalling and then installing the driver but I had same problem.

But when I restart in Safe Mode with networking, my lap top did find the available networks including mine.

Not sure why all of sudden it stopped before and how can I get it back on normal boot.

Does it mean, I have to use Safe Mode when using wireless?

No, that would be risky, it means you have to go the extra mile and found out what is loading in Normal Mode and causing the problem.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

The above lists XP, but they are also for Vista.

For testing purposes only, deinstall your FIREWALL, to see if it is the culprit... some AntiVirus Software, also come as Internet Security Suites, these too have a Firwall and should be turned off / disabled / or deinstalled, just for testing...

after a reboot, then see if you can see other networks...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back