Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Networking Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

briansandpiper

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
GB
I have recently replaced my home peer-to-peer ethernet network between PC and laptop with wireless cards in PC and laptop, set up in "ad-hoc" configuration. Both cards "see" each other and I seem to have set up the network correctly as I can share internet, share files etc. Both cards status shows that they are running at 54MB/sec at startup, but when "connected" the speed drops on both to 1MB/sec. the laptop is also a member of my office domain using auto assignment of IP address on logon.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Both Cards are Linksys.

Many thanks

Brian

You are having range issues, possibly complicated by the presence within range of 802.11b devices.

1. Make certain you are current on all drivers for the two adapters.

2. Disable 802.1x authentication on both clients;

3. If not using WPA, remove the Q815485 Hotfix;

4. You are going to have to "fiddle" with the antenna location on the desktop. (I am assuming a WPC54G). You might add a larger antenna to the desktop adapter:
. something like this, perhaps: . Or this (you can find the equivalent at RadioShack):
5. Set both to "G" only, speed Auto. You can experiment with fixed transmit speeds, but likely you will only lose connection.

The big problem is that the Desktop antenna is sited in the worst of all possible places, behind a large metal shield (the computer), and polarized usually verticly. The antenna for the wireless PCMCIA adapter is small, and polarized horizontally. This does not out-of-the-box make for a very strong connection.

Thanks for your quick reply! ! can see where you are coming from but when I look at the connection status icon on both it is giving me "excellent" connection. Both machines are on the same desk and the aerials are no more than 1 metre apart.

I have been doing some more reading up - could it be anything to do with WEP settings? I haven't entered any key and just set both machines to automatically accept a key.

thanks

Brian

If there was a WEP issue there would be a signal strength but no connection.

Be sure to distinguish between the signal strenght (shown on the Status display, and the signal to noise ration, (used to decide on the trasnsmission rate). You likely have a strong signal with a lot of "noise."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back