Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Networking Do's and Don'ts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousBDE

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
US
I'm thinking about running a wireless home network and I was wondering what makes it so vulnerable, and what measures can be taken to maintain the security of a wired network? Any hardware suggestions? the network will consist of two pc's, a laptop and a xbox....

At the moment, a wireless network is hopelessly vulnerable.

My advice to anyone wanting to play with it is only do this with computers you don't mind having to rebuild often.

As you're probably aware, a wireless LAN can be hacked by anyone armed with a laptop and a Pringles tube. There are chalk marks on the pavements in London indicating the proximity of wireless networks to save hackers the bother of scanning for them...

Read Hacking Exposed (Third Edition), and this; CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

One more, just to show how dedicated some people are to "alternative" ways of getting into wireless networks.

Note that using any of these methods is not endorsed by anyone on this site, but I feel strongly that people should be aware of these issues.

Of course, if your systems are fully locked down, then all the hackers will be able to do is steal some of your internet connection bandwidth - which is all many seem to want to do. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Check the wireless forum. There may be some horror stories available from people there. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

hi citrix, i dont mean to sound rude but your way off the mark in saying they are completely vunerable, I have a wireless network and is secure enough to put off any hacker wanting to get in.

You can use 128 bit web encryption which would take a feckin long tyme to de-crypt and they now have 256 bit (takes even longer)

Also you can tie down your access point to only allow connections from specific mac addreses on the wireless card

yes hackers can see what your transmitting but cant connect unless they sp......

well thats enough from me......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back