Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Networking and Different SN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

stompin

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
GB
I have a BB Router connected to a firewall which is connected to 8 stackable unmanaged switches. We have 50 client machines so are only using one SN on the 192.168.1.0 network. I need to be able to setup a "guest" wireless network so customers can come in and grab an IP and access the BB router only. At the moment our wireless network (AP)is plugged through one of the switches which provides access to the LAN resources and the BB router. The guest network can only have access to the BB router and not the LAN. Any ideas on how best to configure this?

Help appreciated.

Cheer's

Some wireless access points actually include this type of functionality built in. We have some HP 420 Wireless Access Points that allow you to point authenticated traffic to one VLAN and guset traffic to a different VLAN. You would just need to route the guest traffic to your gateway.

Dan

I really wish we had managed switches so I could introduce VLAN's but I'm playing with unmanaged switches which is proving to be a little more of a challenge. Thanks for the info anyway and if I can blag a managed switch I will look into thoese HP's.

Any ideas with unmanaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back