Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonycard

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
US
I have 4 pc's (windows xp) connected in a peer to peer network in my office. One is connected via wire and 3 via wireless. The office next to me recently installed a wireless network too. Now 2 of my computers are connecting to his wirless connection. I turned on WEP on my router and then on the wireless connection I manually selected it to connect to my router, well those 2 can see each other on the network and my wired pc and one wireless pc can read each other and they are all in the same workgroup. What else can I do or what am I doing wrong??

2 of the wireless connected pc's can see each other and the wired one and one of the wireless one see each other. They all connect to the internet but when I checked the ip online just as I thought the 2 renegade pc's have my neighbor's ip and the wired and one wireless one have my ip.

are the two pc's that are closest to his office the ones talking to his wireless network? generally the wireless clients will go for the strongest signal from an Access point. You should be able to configure the 'preferred' network on your 2 rogue pc's to point at your network rather than his (usually by doubleclicking your wireless connection then clicking advanced options etc). You should also reconfigure your wireless clients and router to use a different channel (1-11 usually)...ie if it is currently using 6 then change it to 10 on all your clients etc. I would also enable shared keys on all your machines (including the router).

Thanks for all the help, I found out the problem was that the 2 were picking up my neighbors wireless even though I manually clicked and entered the WEP number myself it was picking up the stronger signal so I moved the router and one of the computers worked the other one I changed the usb adapter to a pci wireless and problem solved. Thank you all for your prompt help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back