Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogi

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

I've got an 801.11b D-Link 604+ modem/router/wireless device already configured.

If I cable into the back of it, my MacMini will work.

What do I need to buy to get it Wireless? I've got a Belkin Wireless USB device but didn't find any drivers on the internet last night. So am thinking I need to buy something. But what?

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi,

Belkin don't do Apple but if they did....it'd be "D-Link"!

I've found a D-Link 801.11b USB adapter with Mac drivers.

Should be here Friday.

Cheers,
Carl.

D-Link 802.11b USB adapter is a piece of junk. The mac drivers are very unstable. I got maybe 5-10 minutes of usage out of my iBook before it froze up or had a kernal panic. The best thing to do is to put an Airport Extreme card from Apple, it should be backwards compatible with 802.11b.

The good news is that you can add Bluetooth and WiFi to your Mac mini -- just take it in to your local Apple store and the techs can add it. Both antennas are internal -- there's cutouts in the metal shield for them to radiate through.

The bad news is you have to get both of them because they're sold as a set.

Chip H.

Yes, the best solution is to purchase a Apple
Airport Extreme Card......it's great to work with.
Peace

Hi,

Just to let you know, I've cancelled the order for the D-Link as Dabs said it was in stock but then never sent it out!

So I've run a cable around and now hard wired in - Problem Solved!

Carl.

PS..When I have some cash I'll look at getting an Airport card installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back