Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless network over a half mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TisBoyo

Technical User
Dec 24, 2003
US
I am wanting to setup a wireless network spanning approximatly a half mile, (.4 according to yahoo maps). The problem is it's not a perfect line of sight. There's a fair ammount of tree's in the path. We are currently using a Cisco 350 Access point on each end for laptop use, and I was hoping there would be an easy way to link the two networks together. Ideas, suggestions?? Thanks, Ray.

You just have to try it. There really are no absolutes. Trees are the worst though. You can do some suprising things with buildings however as the multipath possibilities increase a great deal.

People have placed flat steel or copper sheets on the top of trees and bounced the signal from yagi antennas.

To Bcastner: re: "Trees are the worst"

I used to install all types of antenna's. I once had a long discussion with an Electronics Engineer about how tree leaves cannot interfere with high frequency radio waves, he even showed me in the reference manual that he was correct! It didn't matter that he couldn't get UHF reception - it had to be something else BECAUSE THE BOOK SAYS SO!

micker377,

And I bet it worked fine every winter and died every spring.

Funny post.

he even showed me in the reference manual that he was correct! It didn't matter that he couldn't get UHF reception - it had to be something else BECAUSE THE BOOK SAYS SO!

yeah, that way micker, he can tell the customer "it meets specs" and leave him twisting!!!

tisboyo: half mile and no line of site: good luck! (you might as well start looking for someone to dig a trench now...)

Oi, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear, oh well it was just something more to play with then anything productive anyways. I just wanted to be able to say I did it. Oh well, thanks for your input.

I read somewhere that a someone did this by bouncing his signal off of a radio tower. He worked the the radio station and was able to put a repeater on it. If you own the property consider putting a tall antenna and repeater and use directional antenni on either end pointing towards the antenna in the middle.

PS Pringles cans work nice :)

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

There are some "Smart" AP's coming on the market with management sw that allow you to tune the AP.
Probably not cheap though.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back