Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Laptops on their own subnet... is this secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ame540

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hello fellow techies!

We had an issue with some sales reps that came to our building over the weekend. Of course I was away on vaction and our IT director was responsible for getting people onto our little Linksys network. The problem is, that everyone had different client software running their wireless NIC's and some people were not able to get a WEP key entered or passphrase.

This was embarassing for the IT group. Had i been around we might have been ok, but i want to work on a more simple solution for users.

I am thinking i want to create a seperare subnet for DHCP wireless users. Our gateway is a Cisco 1720 and has plenty of bandwidth for people that visit to browse the web, etc.
However i am concerned in keeping people on this wireless subenet off of our 10.x.x.x subnet (were our file servers and other goodies are). By creating a route in the cisco to allow people on the wireless subenet out, are they essentially blocked from the 10.x.x.x subnet???

Thanks guys (and gals)

Hey,

Not a bad idea,

Can you create a separate VLAN for them to use?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)

Creating a seperate VLAN would probably work, i just have little experience in doing it.

Would i just have a few ports on our switch configured to a different VLAN and connect the accesspoints to those ports?

Yep,

Make sure that you VLAN has a different IP range and you done.

Brett

NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back