Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless laptop won't access net via router

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeetofClay

Technical User
May 2, 2002
GB
This has been driving me crazy. Hope you can help. 2 weeks ago all was well with this configuration.

Netgear DG834G adsl hub/router DHCP enabled 192.168.0.10 - 20 IP 192.168.0.100
PC (XP home)connected via cable - allocated 192.168.0.10. everything OK
Laptop (XP Pro) with Avaya PC card. When this is configured to obtain an ip address and dns server automatically (told that its default gateway is 192.168.0.100) It picks an "autoconfiguration ip address" of 169.254.32.101 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0! The wireless signal is reported as 'excellent'
Hence of course I cannot ccess the net, the router (via browser), or the other pc.

If I give the laptop a fixed ip of 192.168.0.8 (gateway & dns ..100) it still cannot see the network or get on the net. Although it does accept the changes.

If I connect the laptop directly to the router with a cable everything works fine!

The wireless component of the hub is configured for WEP and the laptop has the neccesary key for access. I have updated the wireless card drivers. I have rebooted after making each IP change on the laptop to be sure. and I have bashed my head against the wall more than a few times!

Any ideas?

Well isn't it great that by writing something down you often solve it. I am somewhat embarrased but hey its fixed. The problem ws the Wireless security - WEP - i disabled security and all was well, musta typed the key incorrectly...doh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back