Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless keyboard and mouse delay 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I've got a customer with a HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF. It's old but still working. It's got 8GB of RAM. The keyboard will periodically just not type and the delay is three to five seconds. Anger ensues. The mouse also does the same thing.

Things I've tried.
1. Malware scan - clean
2. Hard drive test - good
3. Memory test - good
4. Looked at CPU usage - not a problem
5. Cleaned out temp files
6. Reduced startup items
7. The customer had already replaced the keyboard/mouse before calling me and the problem followed to the new units
8. Moved the USB receiver from the back of the PC to the front of the PC (PC is under the desk, but it has always been there). No other USB receivers on the PC.
9. With wired mouse attached: Deleted all keyboards and mice from Device Manager and rebooted
10. Looked for any issues in Device Manager - None found
11. Ran SFC /Scannow - found some issues. Ran again - clean
12. Cloned the old HDD over to a new Samsung SSD. This seemed to improve things for a few days but the problem cropped up again.

I don't know what else to do. Replacing the computer because of a keyboard/mouse issue is a little insane but the customer is going to slit his wrists or my throat if I don't figure it out.

Hi,

I had a similar problem - replacing the battery helped

hth

MarK

It's a NEW keyboard/mounse combo, so battery is not the issue. Thanks for not reading my whole post before coming up with that nugget of wisdom.

goombawaho said:
It's a NEW keyboard/mounse combo, so battery is not the issue. Thanks for not reading my whole post before coming up with that nugget of wisdom.

I'm sure you're old enough to know decent communication skills, especially when petitioning volunteers for free assistance. [bigsmile]

There's nothing in your original post that shows that the battery is fully charged. Stock can sit on shelves for years while bundled batteries deteriorate. Did the customer use the same batteries between the two keyboards/mice?

If there was success with a wired keyboard/mouse (#9), why didn't the customer just use the wired mouse and keyboard?

Let me ask you something. If I was smart enough to do steps 1-12 above, do you not think that I would have inquired as to whether they had tried a new battery first?

"If there was success with a wired keyboard/mouse (#9), why didn't the customer just use the wired mouse and keyboard?"
Customer will have an aneurysm if he doesn't have a WIRELESS mouse & keyboard - per his wife.

You know, I should stop posting on here. I (obviously) exhaust all normal troubleshooting steps before I ever post here. And the responses to my last few questions are just sub-par. But thank you anyway.

Perhaps you should follow the advice you gave to me when I posted a problem on this site. Pay a professional to solve this problem for you.

>10. Looked for any issues in Device Manager

Did this include updating the USB chipset drivers?

I only ask because I was this morning coincidentally watching a Linus Tech Tips video, and in it Linus suffered the exact problem you describe (delays on wireless USB mouse and keyboard of several seconds For him, updating the chipset drivers fixed the issue. But you may already have tried this.

Perhaps you should follow the advice you gave to me when I posted a problem on this site. Pay a professional to solve this problem for you." I thought I was the professional - 26 years of IT work.

"Did this include updating the USB chipset drivers?"
I did NOT check the HP site because I doubt that there are updates for a computer that came out 10 years ago (2012)!!!!
I now see that there is a BIOS update, so I can check for other items.

The computer is not worth one hour of my time in the real world so the old "good money after bad" applies here.

Sorry for being crabby.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Other people may be interested.

No, the customer has not invited me back to take another crack at it yet. I will post if I get another opportunity to fix the issue. Knowing him, he has probably switched to a wired keyboard versus paying for more service. But at least he got a SSD upgrade out of the whole thing.

Thanks for the reply. Annoying for you to not be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Confirmed: customer will be using a wired mouse and keyboard. This will be a "no satisfaction zone". The dollar is mightier than the solution.

"If I was smart enough to do steps 1-12 above, do you not think that I would have inquired as to whether they had tried a new battery first?"
In the 80's we used to make fun of first level support with the ol "is the mouse plugged in" first question.

It's great when people start of threads like you did by giving us a list of all those things you tried (so thank you!), saves us having to ask too many "did you do this and that".

"I (obviously) exhaust all normal troubleshooting steps before I ever post here."
To me, it was not that obvious and I also was thinking batteries immediately.

The problem is, you missed some very critical info from a tech support angle.

-No mention of what operating system
-No mention of the the actual make and model of the keyboard & mouse
-No mention if the unknown operating system supports the unknown keyboard & mouse
-No mention of "we checked the batteries".
-No mention if the Keyboard & Mouse software/driver was even installed
-No mention if the Keyboard & Mouse bluetooth/software/driver is up to date
-No mention if the Keyboard & Mouse works on another PC or your laptop

These should have been your first 7 on the list.
Without that info it is absolutely difficult to reply.

spamjim's post has a happy face inserted which means a lot, no harm was intended.

Insulting remarks like "the responses to my last few questions are just sub-par" is really your fault, but may potentially yield no responses to you in future.

"Sorry for being crabby"
I am sure all here is good with that, thank you!

"I should stop posting on here."
Request denied!
[clown]

HPsupport
3rd party support

There is mentions of keyboard & mouse drivers

goombawaho ...thank you for your contributions on the forums

Cheers
cc

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Here are some additional troubleshooting steps you could try:

Check for BIOS and driver updates on the HP website.
Test with a different keyboard and mouse.
Check for electrical interference and try moving the computer to a different location.
Test in safe mode to check for software conflicts.
Reset the BIOS to default settings.
If these steps don't work, contact HP support or a local computer repair technician for further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back