Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Internet for a laptop - options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelD

MIS
Jun 14, 2000
US
Sorry for what's probably a dumb question but I'm under the gun for a quick answer. Are there any solutions out there to provide wireless internet access on a laptop (as opposed to a PDA/Blackberry) without a wireless network in place?

Scenario is sending someone out to a trade show where they need to show a web site except the trade show does not provide Internet access and the website can't be copied down locally.

Only stuff I've found is wireless Internet access for cell phones, PDAs - not PCs.
TIA
Rachel

Probably replying to late, but get a serial cable to go from your cell phone to your laptop and dial out. Either that or copy the whole site to your laptop and run it from there locally.

Serial cable is a way to go - but if you hate cables, a PCMCIA GSM modem is a way to go.

There's a new Nokia D211 out there that comes with GPRS/WLAN/GSM - really neat device for notebooks. Just pop in your SIM Card, and you will be good to go.

Downside is that it's only 9.2Kbps on GSM but higher on GPRS. You guys are using CDMA in the states, no?

Contact T-Mobile. Although I am in the UK, I know these guys are the largest providers in the states and if you are still having the problem, you wont. Their tech support is some of the best in the world. Wireless guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back