Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Guys.. Advice wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveRS575

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
CA
Can anyone here recommend a decent handheld RF signal meter to determine broadcast feasibility and signal strength?

Hoping to find something uder $200 bucks prefferably.

No rest for the Wicked.

For $60 you can get a proper 802.11 card to put in your laptop. It will show you signal strength in terms of data transmission. You must already have an access point or your signal meter wouldn't be able to read anything.

Thanks Mike...

I was kind of hoping to not have to walk around the entire site with a laptop, as I have lots of ground to cover. I was hoping there might be an inexpensive (and light) handheld unit that I could walk around and get specific readings in specific locations confirmed. (I am going to be assessing a 300 room 12 story hotel and will neeed to check just about every room for access due to the nature of the structure)

Thanks though!

No rest for the Wicked.

You can do it with a Compaq(HP) iPAQ handheld and a Cisco 350 nic.
That's about $60 x 10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back