Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Detection Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueliner

Technical User
Nov 26, 2002
US
Anyone know of a good software that will detect and 802.11b signal? My managers are wanting a security check done in the main offices where we they are wanting to integrate a wireless network into the existing one. I have been asked to do some testing on this before the new network is connected to the servers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check out
They developed two peices of software one being netstumbler that runs on windows and another that runs on pocketpc. both work great i suggest using a lucent base network card though like the orinoco gold or compaq wl110. their forms are a great source for information too just use the search before posting.

A couple of things to say..

NAI's PDA wireless sniffer is useless. I had it for a month for testing and it was a poorly done port from the laptop to the PDA. I have a RealAudio clip of the various screens on my site, no audio voice over yet. Any time you need to scroll sideways AND up/down to see a screen on a PDA there is a serious design problem. What happened to 'drill down menus'?

Netstumbler is a fun program but I sure would not use it for anything serious. I have it, paid for it because it took a fair amount of work to write and use it for some fun wardriving but.. it's not exactly stable at times and the sensitivity is lacking when compared to some of the better commerical apps. It's also intrusive.. this means it sends out probe packets which will leave your mac all over the network.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at Airmagnet. I dont sell it, I use it. Again, there is a RealAudio clip (this with voice over) on my site.. main page. It's relatively cheap compared to NAI's. Very good sensitivity, rogue AP finder, directional finder, layer two testing, layer 3 testing as in getting a DHCP address asigned, performance testing etc. The alarm log is useful to see who or what is insecure or performing subpar.

The best part is it's passive, it doesnt send out any packets to see the network... unlike netstumbler.

There are others like Yellow Jacket but not enough room here to go into alot of details..

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back