Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless connection to a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

CondorMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
GB
Hi everyone

I'm trying to connect to my router when using a live CD (Knoppix). I've disabled broadcast of the SSID, enabled WPA and also set MAC address filtering for security. The wireless hardware in the laptop is Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

I've been into the Linux console and tried commands such as iwconfig eth0 essid <network name>, iwconfig eth0 channel <number> and iwconfig eth0 key:s <ascii key>. The key seems to be accepted but I can't connect, even though I can gain access via an ethernet cable.

When I looked at the network wizard, it mentioned WEP but not WPA so I suspected that I need to download something to allow me to use WPA. I came across wpa_supplicant and understand that it's a text file which has the WPA and other parameters, but I don't know how to use it. Can I create a text file (in Windows with Notepad), save it to the C: drive (or a floppy) and then copy that to the correct place when I've booted into Linux? If so, where does it go when I'm in Knoppix and how do I invoke or run it?

I may be way off mark here, so I'd like some advice about connecting to my router. If I'm on the right line, what exactly is the format of the file I should use - WPA key, MAC address etc.?

Thanks for your time.

Hi

Thank you for the guidance. The cheat codes relate to version 5.0 which, as far as I know, is an unofficial version. Mine is 4.0.2. Having said that, I'll look into it - I have nothing to lose.

I'm still interested to know about wpa_supplicant if someone can give me the "low down" in words of one syllable!

If you turn off the security (mac filtering, wpa, etc) on your router can you get connected? What does it say for wlan0? I had to set up an ndiswrapper on mine to recognize my card (but that was with Ubuntu - I think that both are debian based though).

I also looked into getting connected via WPA but just went back to WEP instead :-(

Thank you for the comments.

I've no intention of relying on WEP - I'd rather keep myself hooked to an ethernet cable! I'll check it out, as you suggest, having disabled my security temporarily. It might be a few days before I get back with the results as I'm away from home at the moment.

Thank you.

I've almost given up! I've tried many permutations of what's in the wpa_supplicant.conf file as well as the wpa_supplicant <various switches> in the console but everything generates an error. No doubt I'll stumble upon the correct file content and console syntax in due course!

I was running WEP on my home lan but when I saw this thread I thought I would give WPA another shot. I set it up on a laptop that's currently running Ubuntu Drapper x86_64 (Turion Processor). This laptop has an intel wireless integrated card (ipw2200). This driver needs special attention as far as setting everything up.

Please check if you have this card and maybe I can point you to the correct HOWTO or point out some things that helped me getting this setup working.

Fernando

Fernando

When I'm in XP and check my Wireless Network Properties, in "Connect using", it says <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection>.

It looks as if I might just get somewhere if you've managed to connect to your WPA-enabled router with your laptop. I've seen a wpa_supplicant.conf file that has a specific line when the ssid broadcast is disabled (as mine is).

Well to start just to make sure.. did you try it with everything Static instead of DHCP?

Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back