Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Mar 7, 2004
US
hello all,
Did anyone try wireless configuration in Laptop. I use Dell 600m inspiron, it is not allowing me to configure properly. I tried to use iwconfig and ndiswrapper as well...i had problems installing ndiswrapper properly also...did anyone try this sort of thing before?..if yes please share your experience
thanks,
ss

There are issues with the Dell TrueMobile 1300, which I believe your system to be configured with, and linux. I have encounterd more posts about not getting it to run, then those who have been successful.

After compiling ndiswrapper with a make install, you will need to put the windows XP driver, bcmwl5.inf or bcmwl5a.inf in a directory accessable, and then run ndiswrapper -i <file location>. This will install the driver, and then run ndiswrapper -l to view the installed devices.

After that, then you can run iwconfig or manually edit the wlan0 config file to set the parameters and essid for your network.

Good Luck

Hello,
Actually my driver is Intel Pro wireless 2200BG. And the sys and ini files are w*.ini and w*.sys. The problem i am facing is i could not install ndiswrapper ..and what about configuring wlan0 ??.i dont see any config file with that name??...I have eth0 and l0..any help is appreciated
thanks
ss

1) Unpack the source code into a known directory
2) CD to that directory, and do a " make install"
3) Once this is done, activate the modules with a "modprobe"
4) Install the drivers with the command "ndiswrapper -i <path to file>
5) Verify a successful install by "ndiswrapper -l". Your driver should be there.

The wlan0 configuration file should be created with the system settings>network application, the iwconfig application or by creating it manually, modeled after the eth0 config file. This is where and how you will add the essid for the lan card.

There is a good document at
You should have better luck with the Intel driver...

The problem was with this thing initially i guesss...i g

ln -s /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> /lib/modules/VERSION/build

this usually means the you have a kernel that is older than the version supported or you are using a kernel that has a too small stack size...two options...get an older version of ndiswrapper or upgrade your kernel...and 2.6 flavor would work...also there is a FC kernel in rpm package on linuxant.com that uses a stack size of 16. Either of those two options should solve that build problem.

hi,
thanks raptor.It works fine...but driverloader needs the license number..which i am not sure of...i have ask my vendor.
ss

They probably want their license number. DriverLoader is a free 15(45?) day triel then you have to pay somehting like $15 to get the full version - basically you get a license number that is tied to your MAC address and allows you no time limit on usage of the app. Though you are obviously tied down by the MAC address.

-T

barcode_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back