Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Bridge Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfrear

Programmer
Jul 11, 2007
GB
Having a few problem's with setting up a simple wireless bridge. We have got two Trendnet Wireless N TEW-630APB Access Points in two buildings, one in each.

The Scenario:

At this end (Head Office) we have a wired network which forms the main infrastructure. At the other side (Unit 29) we just have a single server plugged into a switch and the switch directly into the Wireless AP.

We are trying to bridge the two networks so as the Head Office network can seamlessly access the Unit 29 network across the road. We have setup external aerials and have checked signal coverage across the area - we get full signal throughout the coverage area.

Settings:

HO AP:

IP (Static): 172.16.30.238
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 172.16.30.250

SSID: ALFA-BRIDGE
Wireless Channel (fixed): 13
802.11 mode: 802.11ng only
Channel width: auto (20/40mhz)
Visibility: invisible

Security: WPA-Personal
WPA Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Group Key Update Interval: 3600 seconds
Pre-Shared key: (this is set and same at both AP)

Unit29 AP:

IP (Static): 172.16.30.239
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 172.16.30.250

SSID: ALFA-BRIDGE
Wireless Channel (fixed): 13
802.11 mode: 802.11ng only
Channel width: auto (20/40mhz)
Visibility: invisible

Security: WPA-Personal
WPA Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Group Key Update Interval: 3600 seconds
Pre-Shared key: (this is set and same at both AP)

----------------------------------------------------------

Both routers also have WDS enabled and have each others MAC address (e.g. HO AP has Unit29's MAC in its ADS AP MAC address settings, and Unit29 has HO AP's). According to what I have read this should allow them to act as a bridge.

Both AP's are running the same firmware yet we still cannot ping the "other side". At HO we can ping HO AP, at Unit29 we can ping Unit29 AP.

Other info:

172.16.30.250 is a bordermanager firewall system. We are not sure about the default gateway settings as obviously Unit29 won't be able to see 172.16.30.250 if its not part of the network already.

I hope this lot makes sense and maybe someone can see what we're missing - I've been running back and forth changing settings all day!

Cheers for any help.

One thing I would check is your mac filtering...
are you setting it for the mac of the wireless port or the wired port of your AP's?

Regular MAC filtering is off, but the WDS MAC's are the adderesses of the actual AP.

We have made a little progress:

Default gateways are now set as the IP of the AP as advised by TRENDnet tech support.

WEP is now on instead of WPA as apparently it is not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back