Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless and Wired connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

schronuts

Programmer
Mar 12, 2010
US
Is there any way to have my laptop point to the wireless card for internet and point to the lan nic card for everything else?

I basically want to off load the internet traffic onto a wireless hotspot and still be able to access my networked drives. Thanks!!

You need to add a route to your laptop.

route -p 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 --> wireless GW

In some manner, you need to configure the routing table. The easiest way I can think of for you do to is assign separate routing spaces for your wireless and your wired. For example, make your wireless 192.168.0.1/24 and your wired 192.168.1.1/24. You would put your internet gateway on the segment with the wireless. You would then make this the default gateway in your interface configuration. The wired card would be configured with the network and mask for the other range.

Do not assign a default gateway to your system by putting a default gateway on both interfaces. You can have only one.

Your routing table should then route directly to the devices on your wired LAN and things that aren't part of that segment, as determined by the network and mask, will go to your gateway - the wireless.

This works great when everything that I need to get to on the LAN is on the same subnet but if something I need to get to on the LAN is on a different subnet then what do I do?

Example:

10.1.1.1 <---Server A

10.1.20.2 <---Server B

10.1.20.1 <---Machine

I can get to Server B just fine but what about when I try to get to Server A? I haven't tested this yet as they are in different locations geography and I need to be on site to make some changes. Thanks.

Your follow up posts suggests that there is considerably more to your situation than you asked about in your first post. In your original post, you wanted all (local) traffic to go out via the wired interface and "all other" traffic, which would mean things that are not a local or defined static route, out your wireless. You updated situations sounds A LOT more like a VPN scenario.

In this case you can either add static routes, stipulating exactly how to get information to 'Server A', or you can change your approach to use NAT, or more specifically, IP Masquerading, between the two domains (or hosts). If you are running Linux this is relatively easy and can be done with Iptables. I don't know if there is an equivalent tool under Windows, but maybe something like winproxy or wingate, based on a quick search.

There is a lot more to it, we have a cisco router at each site that does a crypto vpn to each site. I apologize for not specifying that. I put a NAT statement on the router at the HQ and that is letting that specific app work. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back