Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless analog line extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I have a location that is about 1/4 mile from a working POTS connection. I don't have copper available and it's too expensive to put any in. We have a cell coverage and that's fine for voice. The problem is our wireless credit card terminal is not reliable and we would like to replace it with an existing phone based model.

I know there are long-range cordless phones that could reach this site but does anyone know of a solution that could provide physical dialtone on the far end of the cordless connection?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

a bluetooth pots adapter for a cellphone may be used to run plastic through !!

I'd like to just extend my existing POTS line but that's an interesting alternative.

I found this one after a short search: It mentions automatic echo cancellation. What might that do to modem protocols. I seem to recall that most things done to optimize voice quality hurt modem/fax type connections.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

robertjo24, that would certainly do it but it might be out of my budget. Worth looking into.

Jeff

Do you have Hi speed internet available at the main loc?, and is it basically line of site to remote loc?

take a line directly from the line providers demarc and patch it through, if you don't want to interfere with phone calls use the fax line or you might want to put a privacy device on it. This way you have a LEC line directly to the terminal and that will work.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

MasterRacker...
There are other slightly less costly alternatives, but none that I have found that are cheap.
Rig Telephone (I think that's the name anyway)used to make 3 RU rack mounted unit that was a 450 Mhz radio with a modem and/or or FXS/FXO interface. You could try looking for some old units like that on EBAY.

Tellular makes a cellular based product that will provide a POTs line that connects through the carrier of your choice. May be an alternative.

Why not an ethernet link via microwave if this is line of site?

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

Hi Guys I had a similar problem and I used "Voyager" phones made in Taiwan the V1 type had a phone/Fax unit which you could plug a line into.
I have just spoken to the NZ agent and he said that there was a V2 type, use only "XP" type (higher power) I get about 1 -2 Km from the phone/base set units but they will give up 5 - 6 Km,s without a problem.
Cheers Brian

Cheers Brian
To see is to know To Know is to see

I dont know how different a credit card machine is from Fax or Modem but just because a wireless solution sounds ok on a call does not mean it will work. I would suggest an IP based or iphone credit card reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back