Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless accessing internet through desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmenarry

MIS
Feb 3, 2003
US
Apologies for the simplicity of the question, but this is my first ever network, wireless or otherwise!

Normally, the router would have its own connection to the net, from what I gather. However, my cable internet connects to the PC (desktop) via USB. Works fine.

I have two laptops that I want to share the internet connection and access one of the drives on the desktop PC.

I have searched, and can only find a router that takes RJ45 connections for the internet, none seem to be able to take USB.

Using the Eternet card in teh desktop PC, can I connect this to the router as it's internet, sharing that connection, and then allowing the laptops to access the internet that way?

All machines are running XP, router is a D-Link DI 524. Laptops have onboard wireless, and I have a USSB wireless adapter as well.

TIA, this stuff is new to me.

M.

Configure as follows: Direct connect pc with rj45 from LAN card port to router LAN port, connect modem to WAN port as indicated Configure your laptops to connect wirelessly, join all pc's to the same Workgroup name and ensure file & print sharing is selected. Your modem should have a connection to the router via rj45? Also see the following regarding setting up your network: Additionally you may need to setup within router interface to allow local (LAN)traffic as well as each pc's firewall.

Paul

Paul,
That's the problem - the modem cannot connect to the router using an RJ45. It uses USB to connect to the desktop PC.

Therefore, I need to use the router to connect to the PC with the USB modem, and then share that internet connection with the other PC's on the network.

M.

I would think you could operate in the manner in which you speek. Best case would be get another modem from your ISP that allows you to connect pc's directly to router, router to modem. This would be the optimum senerio.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back