Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wired works but wireless doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I bought a used clean loaded computer with XPpro SP3 on it.
Ran all updates. Its a Gateway Profile 6 all in one computer.
I bought a TP-Link USB wireless adapter for it.
I have an AT&T 2Wire router in my home.
Will not obtain an IP on wireless.
Will when hardwired.
Will connect to the wireless at full signal strength with static IP.
But, then the status shows it sending but not receiving and will not connect to internet.
I have 2 Dell laptops with built in wireless working without issue. one is win7 and other is xp.
Settings look exactly the same when compared.
Firewalls are disabled on the computer.

Any advice where else to look before running a wire?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

are you using any security on the 2 wire? wpa2? sounds like the password, or passphrase isn't entered on the AIO.

WEP open, password protected.
The USB TP-Link device is set that way. The device software says it is connected to the router, but the wireless connection in Windows Network settings says 'no IP, limited or no connectivity'.

Thanks,

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

Gateway Profile 6 is a desktop PC, right?

Have you pulled the cable out of the network socket when trying to connect wirelessly?

And tried re-installing the driver? Or looked for/installed an update?

Used IPConfig to release and renew the link?

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

I just had a similar problem here at work. I reset (turned off and on again) the nearest access point and it started working again.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Turn everything off, including the computer, unplug the cable to the computer & leave it unplugged, restart everything & see what goes on.

Thanks guys,
I have rebooted, tried turning off all security. Here is a pic of what I am looking at on my screen.
As I said before I have 2 dell laptops working without issue, and a guest over the weekend that connected after I gave her the password through her smart phone. I will mention, that on the Win7 laptop, I had to manually enter the DNS numbers, but left it to obtain an IP, and I have tried that as well with this one.

Just tried the IPconfig commands, released, renewed, fulshed, and registered. No change.

Screenshot_zpsc045dd17.png

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

Although it shows as connected that is the wireless link only not the network connection.

On those I've set up there is an additional step of entering the passcode. Easiest way has been through control panel and wireless setup.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

1) I am assuming you have a DHCP enabled wireless router
2) Have you looked at the IPV4 configuration? Is it set to DHCP? How about the DNS? What is that set to?

If you don't have DHCP, allocate an address in the same subnet as the router/the other machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back