Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wired port won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBOB

Technical User
Jun 22, 2002
US
I'm experiencing kind of an odd problem. I have a laptop on a network. Using a wireless NIC with a static ip, the laptop works fine on the network. When I plug the wired NIC into the network with a different static ip and with the wireless removed, I don't get any connectivity. That is no physical connection. I have tried three different cables, different ports on the router and switch. Ran a cable from a jack that another PC, that is working, was using. Still no connectivity. Then I brought the laptop home and put it on my network and everything worked perfect. I suspected that maybe the mac for the wired NIC might have been blocked on the router, but I couldn't find anything like that. Got me baffled. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Was the wired NIC enabled? I have seen some laptops disable the wired NIC while wireless is in use and then unless you reboot or specify that wired be used it remains disabled.

Nogs

Sounds odd...
Have you tried going into network connects,advanced,advanced settings,moving the onboard NIC to the top of the list. Also try setting the NIC to 100 half or full duplex or auto if it is already set to a static duplex speed. You might try deleting the NIC in device manager and reloading the NIC driver with the most up to date driver.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Are you getting link lights? There are laptops that power down the network ports not in use, and do not detect a wired cable unless it is shut off and powered up again.

if you do have link, does your home network use the same subnet, mask, and gateway addresses as the work network?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Will look at all these tips and get back to you.

Tony

I agree with Nobs... go to the network connections and disable the nic then re-enable... I see that all the time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back