Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP_VPNclient to Netware server via Pix515

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillis

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2001
Hi,

I have a VPN connection happening between remote WinXP laptop and our Pix515; I can see Windows shared resources on the Novell LAN but cannot do any more. My first question is: should I address my question in the Netware forum or can someone here help?

If here, then what might my next step be in troubleshooting/configuring the LAN to enable login remotely?

Thanks greatly!

gillis

You will not be able to see any Novell or IPX resources. Here are my engineering notes:
Q: Can I map drives to Novell File Servers?
A: No. The VPN system is based upon the TCP/IP protocol and not the IPX/SPX protocol used by Novell. Therefore, the VPN system cannot interact with Novell systems.
Q: Can NT-GSNW on a NT File Server be used to access network drives on a Novell File Server?
A: YES!

Thanks for your response; however, our Netware 6 LAN is using IP not IPX/SPX. gillis

cool, let me check some other knowledge bases on this issue and see whta i can find for you.
K

yizhar,

Thanks again for responding - yes, I can ping the server's IP address successfully. However, the Novell client can't "see" a server out there...

Gateway does point to the Pix and I've created a local hosts file.

I wonder if there is something I need to do on the Novell server to allow the VPN client to communicate with it?

Thanks again, gillis

HI.

So it seems like a Netware relate issue.
Try Novell's support.

It could be related to name resolution - in Client32 you can define the name resolution order.
You should also check the binding of Client32 to network adaptors at the client.

What is the version of the VPN client software?
There are some differences between 3.x and 4.x VPN clients in the way they interact with the client OS and TCPIP stack, so I suggest trying both.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Try to put the IP address of the server in the Novell Client (Advanced) for the Tree, and Server.

Les

Thanks to all for ideas. Finally experienced success this morning. Perhaps one of the "host" files I created finally kicked in - don't know for sure but the Novell login now recognizes the server and tree and allows for remote login. It's all downhill (hah!) from here.

Thanks again,

gillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back