Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP Spontaniously Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesAZ

MIS
Feb 5, 2003
US
Any help is greatly appriecated.

Here it goes, about a month ago my Windows XP system started rebooting on its own, no matter what I am doing or where I am at in the system. I can be online, using any program offline, in sleep mode or even booting up the computer and it will constently reboot. Here are my specs.
IBM Clone that I built almost two years ago.
MB: Abit BE6II Ver1.2
CPU: Intel PIII 750MHz Coppermine
Centronics PC100 non ECC SDRAM 2x64MB and 1x128MB
Voodoo 3000 AGP 16B Graphics Accelerator
Linksys 10/100 NIC
SB PCI 512 Sound Card
SIIG SCSI 2
Actiontec 56K ISA Fax/Modem
Actiontec IEEE1394 Firewire
Maxtor 30GB 7200RPM HD
56X CDROM
Yamaha CDRW 2100EZ
Windows XP Home

I have looked at the event viewer and Im getting ACPI errors so I upgrade the BIOS on the ABIT MB to the most recent version. Did not fix the issue.
I have FDisk and reinstalled WinXP from scratch.
I have replaced the power supply. The original one from when the case was new was an Antec 250 Watt unit which has worked in this system with all of this hardware since it eas new. I have replaced it with a brand new 250 Watt power supply.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I do not want to buy every peice of hardware again to try and fix this issue.

WesAZ, I would seriously consider the possibility of poor connection from the CPU to the socket. It may be that a little work with a pencil eraser will solve your problem.

Thanks but when I use another SECC2 P3 600 processor the problem disappears. When I use my own SECC2 P3 750 the problem is there. And when I tried my new cpu a Celeron 1GHz with the SlotKet the system will POST but nothing else it then does the same as the 750. So I need to get another CPU that is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back