Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winXP rebooting by itself 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp110

MIS
Apr 19, 2004
US
how can you troubleshoot a WinXP machine that is repeatedly rebooting by itself?

I had the same problem and found this solution on another site

Start the recovery console and then expanded userinit.exe from the windows xp cd

d:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32

I could then log on.

I hope this helps

Jacqui

At Start, Run, type shutdown -a to abort the shutdown process. That will give you time to put up the firewall, turn off System Restore, clean out the infections and get the critical updates at
If you have a slow internet connection, then order the February 2004 Windows Security Update CD (with updates through October 2003) at
and then finish getting the newer security updates online.

dbMark

If you can't even get to the Safe Mode Start Options Screen (where you could try using the Last Known Good Configuration option), you are limited to the recommendations by "Bcastner" or "jacquiw", or the following suggestions.

Try running ChkDsk /r to check your drive for errors while in the Recovery Console.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back