Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP "fixboot" deletes partition table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainak

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
IN
I had a 10GB partition with WinXP Pro running on it. As I was working on it suddenly the computer blacked out and reebooted. But Windows NEVER started again. Just after the POST screen the system rebooted and on and on...

Operating System just failed to load. I inserted my WinXP CD and booted from it and entered the Recovery Console. I then executed the command "fixboot c:" and it said that my partition had a corrupt boot sector. It then asked whether to write a new boot sector or not. I wrote "yes" and pressed enter. After that I booted my system again and this time the computer got past the POST screen but it said "NTLDR missing." I was puzzled. I again booted with my WinXP CD and went to the Recovery Console. I typed "dir" and I was shocked !!! It said "0 files found..." All my data was gone.
I then executed "DISKPART" and saw that it showed my 10GB partition but showed the free space as 10MB only.

"fixboot" had overwritten my boot sector and FAT and also converted it to FAT12 (saw this in "fdisk"). The size of this partition was being shown as 10MB in my friend's Win98 system.

The data is still there !! I am sure of it.. Only the FAT has been overwritten by "fixboot".

IS THERE ANY SOFTWARE THAT CAN REBUILD THE FAT AND RECOVER THE DATA IN MY PARTITION ??????

I have not beeing looky with Rick sugestion. I am thinking to reinstall, but my CD drive only reads DVDs and do not boot my CD Sony recoverys. I am expecting any moment a new laptop from Dell (X1) and then I will i.link them to boot my CD Sony recoverys. That is why I have been able to play around while waiting for it. But the moment I set may hands in the new Dell I will reinstall.

This is one thought I have: I have not beeing able to finish running CHKDSK because of the following:

From Microsoft:
This behavor occurs because the FAT32 file system contains a back up copy of the boot sector. However, Chkdsk.exe does not attempt to use the back up FAT32 bootsector unless the primary bootsector is physically located in a bad sector and chkdsdk.exe receives an I/O error message whie trying to read the volume - chkdsdk.exe does not try to use the back up copy because the primary copy is corrupted or contains invalid information.**

Probably, when I clik Fixboot recovery console changed the boot sector to a not corrupted one and chkdsk refuse to load the back up boot sector. Just an idea.

Sorry for my English. (SpanEnglish). Thanks Slimeruk and you gays.

I am sorry I wrote: Thanks Slimeruk and you gays.

It should said: Tnanks Slimeruk and you guys.

I just look it up in my English dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back