Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP Pro Setup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerbir21

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2002
US
Hello everyone

I am using an Athlon 2000XP CPU, Asus AS7333 Motherboard w/512MB of RAM, and a 60GB Western Digital drive. The drive has been formatted with a 15GB Primary and 45 GB extended partition. I have used a Win98 boot disk as well as the WinXP boot disks downloadable from Microsoft's site. I am experiencing various problems when I attempt to install WinXP Pro.

Once setup has run and the files have copied, you are prompted to reboot. Upon rebooting, the setup process continues. Everytime it reaches to the part where I can choose the partition to install to and to select the file system, I receive the error:

SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT DRIVE C: IS CORRUPTED AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED.

* This occurs whether I select to install the OS on an NTFS or FAT32 partition.
* I have received this error when installing to both a 60GB WD hard drive and a 20GB Maxtor drive - both with the same results
* I have run WD's disk scan utilities to check for any defects or flaws to the HD - no errors produced
* I have swapped out the memory
* I have tried swapping the 2 IDE cables that came with the WD HD (an 80 wire/pin IDE drive I believe they're called)- both produce the same results

I am eager to have this PC up and running, but am being held back by these nagging issue. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,

I have many sugestions for you to try (one after the other):
1-First install a fresh copy of Win 98, then intall a "Clean Copy" of Win Xp (from within Win 98).
2- To perform the original "Scan Disk" from MS preferably from Dos, several times (at least twice).
3- To chose the option of installing a "clean copy" of Win Xp and the option of puting a copy of Win Xp installation files on the hard disk and installing directly from them "NOT FROM THE CD"
4-There may be some "CARDS" (sound, modem...etc) not fully compatible with Win Xp (I sugest trying the setup after removing all extra cards and peripheral (except the video card, without which the PC will not boot !)
5-Try asigning partitions and formating your hard disk using the "ORIGINAL" MS DOS.

GOOD LUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back