Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winxp / LInux Daul Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

axman505

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
US
I cannot get Windows XP to boot from the lilo. But, if i just have the XP HDD in, then it boots

LInux is the primary drive, and xp is the secondary.

This is what my lilo.conf looks like:

prompt
timeout="50"
boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=Linux

other=/dev/hdb1
label="Windows XP"
table=/dev/hdb

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
label="Linux"
root=/dev/hda1
read-only

Hi,

For XP/W2K/NT try adding a 'loader=' entry to chain-load the M$ bootloader. Something like :

other=/dev/hdb1
label="Windows XP"
loader = /boot/chain.b
table=/dev/hdb

You could also try without the 'table=' entry.

Hope this helps

tried all that .. still nothing, when i select the windows XP option is just hangs and does nothing. Any other ideas?

In my opinion, I used winXP as the first boot drive and use bootpart as the boot partition handlling for the boot record...you can get Bootpart from program from the web...try to search "Bootpart22" in any search engine

wish you luck

HEre is new development in the story

I have WINXP on the Master Drive , and REDHAT on the salve drive.

LILO Is install on the hda1

when ever i tell lilo to load winxp, it just reverts back and loads lilo because thats where lilo is located. How do i get past that and just have it load winxp?

Hi,

Lilo should be in /dev/hda (mbr) not /dev/hda1. If you have XP in 'c:\' (/dev/hda1) then you should be able to invoke its bootloader with the chain load block in lilo :

other=/dev/hda1
label="Windows XP"
loader = /boot/chain.b
table=/dev/hda

However, if you have now installed lilo in /dev/hda1 you may have to reinstall / repair xp and then redo lilo once again into the MBR.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back